How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Timmins, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Setting: Residents enjoy our 3 beautiful outdoor enclosed courtyards located off the main floor and 3 large outdoor terraces accessible from the second floor.
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the residents past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Seated Exercise Class: We conduct seated exercise classes twice a week that focus on balance, flexibility, range of motion and strength.
- Pet Therapy: Through the St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy program, 2 or 3 therapy dogs are brought into the home twice a month to visit with residents.
- Cooking Group: Our men’s and women’s cooking groups meet twice monthly to make a meal for themselves and talk about the issues of the day.
- Pub Afternoon: On Pub afternoon, residents relax and socialize over a refreshing non-alcoholic beverage.
- Movie Night: Tuesdays are movie night complete with popcorn.
- Monthly Birthday Celebration: Our monthly Birthday celebration is enjoyed by all and includes a cake and singing “Happy Birthday” to residents with birthdays that month.
- Karaoke and Sing-alongs: Karaoke and sing-alongs are very popular and a great way for residents to reminisce through music.
- Live Entertainment: Twice a week we have live entertainment featuring a variety of performers from the community.
- Gardening Group: Residents with green thumbs in our Gardening Group enjoy tending to potted flowers and vegetables on balconies and throughout our building.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist